Monday, March 10, 2014

Daily Scripture Reflection - March 10


March 10

 

Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18

Matthew 25:31-46

 

From Deacon Norm Horstman:

When asked to do Lenten reflections I panicked.  As this community knows, when I am in trouble I cry out for help and the Lord helps.  I remembered that I am not alone.  I am part of a deacon family.

This family is the reason why I have been able to serve for so many years because they in a very real and practical way help me.  I am grateful to share reflections from my wife Lou Ann and my daughter Lauren who helped me through the diaconate process and still help me.  They are both very well-qualified to write these reflections.  I am grateful for them for allowing me to share with you.  Blessed Lent ...season of change.  Norm 

 

 

Reflection for Monday March 10 from Lou Ann Horstman:

Our readings for today are from Leviticus, chapter 19 and Matthew, chapter 25.  Both address right conduct.  The section of Leviticus which we hear in Mass today gives directives for financial, social and legal relationships.

It is taken from a chapter that presents an ultimately confusing array of dos and don'ts.  Some are immediately meaningful and poetically presented:

"When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong....for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." Others are not so compelling: "You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard."  Matthew quotes Jesus as reducing this range of commands to a very simple set of imperatives. He poses for us the basic question, left or right? Will you be among the sheep or the goats? The criteria for the selection is quite simple.  It is in fact the first six acts of the Corporal Acts of Mercy:  Feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, shelter the homeless, clothe the naked, visit the sick, and visit the imprisoned. In contrasting the two readings one can certainly see the similarities, but I am more moved by the difference.  Each of these acts that might help one be more of a sheep and less of a goat is so human, so humble, so basic, so earthy.  What do we need? Food, shelter, drink, clothing, and company.  What are we to do when we have it? Share it.

Share it with the least among us. 

 

For myself, I have struggled mightily with the just figuring out how to eat in a way that might help my body heal. Low fat? Low carb? High protein? Vegetarian? Vegan? Paleo? I have felt at times that my very life depended on making the right decision, while voices call to me with new advice on every side.    What a gift when I have clarity about this!   In the same way we can get lost in our spiritual journey, this way or that? This, for me, is the deep meaning of this chapter in Matthew, put away the confusion and go to work.  There are clearly hurting, hungry, lonely people among us.  The directives provide perfect clarity.  The response to the psalm today says it perfectly, "your words, Lord, are Spirit and life."  And it is true that our very lives depend upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment